After Nellie was quite worn out, Grandpa saddled her up for the kids. Way, way up.
And I remembered one of my first memories -- sitting bareback on our gentle black mare as she enjoyed feeding on the freshly delivered hay . . . her uncharacteristic startling . . and my tumbling to the hard ground below.
Then a more terrifying memory -- seeing my little brother's lower face bitten off as the horse reached to chomp on the oats held out in his three-year-old hands . . . my dad sweeping him up . . . holding his bloody face together . . . frantically running . . . and praying.
And finally -- empathizing with my great-grandma helplessly watching the frightened horse drag her four-year-old son to his death.
When I insisted that Grandpa stand close to J on the horse, someone teased You worry too much! Oh sure, no need to be afraid.

Sad we missed the bike ride and Nellie. It looks like you guys had fun still without us. I don't think you worry too much about the horse I don't have any memories like that and I still worry!
ReplyDelete