Several months ago I posted this http://billandcarolstump.blogspot.com/2009/05/stretttttch.html And that's exactly how it happened.
For weeks we’ve been praising, coaxing, and bribing Jeremy with the hope that he will stand up and walk. We’re tired of that pitiful crawl and banged-up, dirty legs. But he’s just not interested.
That is, until today. From the other room I observed him on his big wheel rocker eyeing his new birthday toys several steps away. He slipped off the rocker and whined for the Little People Parking Garage. Nobody was around to carry him to it. Still, he wanted it . . . really wanted it! I actually think he realized that it was so close that if he tried to crawl, he would bang his head on it. And then it happened -- ONE, TWO, THREE steps all by himself . . . alone in a room . . . no praising . . . no coaxing . . . no bribing. Confirming to me a simple truth that I learned from School House Rock -- necessity is the mother of invention.
And I also thought about that troubling philosophical question . . . if a baby takes his first three steps and nobody is in the room to see it . . . did the steps really happen?
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment