Saturday, June 19, 2010

Picturesque Old World

Architecture has recorded the great ideas of the human race. Not only every religious symbol, but every human thought has its page in that vast book. Victor Hugo

Augsburg was founded in 15 BC under the direction of Emporer Augustus. For many centuries it was a key European location for the Roman Empire. It became a main trade route during the Middle Ages.

Didn't I study these buildings in Interior Design 110?

Middle picture is City Hall of Augsburg, built in 1620 and "one of the most significant secular buildings of the Renaissance style north of the Alps".

Lower is the Zeughaus (arsenol) -- an impressive arms depot of the Reichsstadt. Built 1602-1605, the facade is said to be one of the first Baroque style in Germany. I find the bronze group above the door fascinatingly disturbing. At first I thought it was gargoyls. But no, it's cherubs with daggers and swords! Now, I have learned that it is Archangel Michael entrenched in battle with Lucifer.

Most notable to Bill: cobblestone streets, lots of Mercedes, no pickup trucks.
















No comments:

Post a Comment