Sunday, July 5, 2009

All He Wants To Do Is . . . FISH

As soon as J realized we were going to a lake, he started asking if he could fish. Where did he learn about fishing? We don’t fish.

Can I fish? Can I fish at the lake? Can I fish with a fishing pole? Can I fish at the lake with a fishing pole? On and on. We tried to distract him with the promise of hiking a trail, seeing a deer, or building a fire. No luck. As we checked in at the lodge, he eyed a kid-sized fishing pole for sale. He wanted it so bad. Let’s see if Uncle Daniel brings a fishing pole. OK he agreed hopefully. No luck. And not distracted. All he wanted was to fish. No hiking, no playing, no eating, no sleeping. So we bought that kid-sized Cars theme fishing pole – without the hook and bait -- and wondered if watching a three-year-old cast Lightning McQueen's tire weight into Fish Lake required a license.

He loved it! He was not interested in anything but fishing. Other kids played in the water, but J fished. At least he was good about sharing his fishing pole, and clapped with excitement when others learned how to cast the line. He loved it so much and showed such dedication that we began to feel guilty knowing that he couldn't catch a fish without a hook and bait. Luckily on Day 2:

Bill: Good news!
J: Mommy, mommy I caught a fish!
Carol: What? But . . .
Amanda: He caught a mossy fish.
J: Yes, I caught a mossy fish and threw it back in!

And later after hours on the shoreline, he watched the other fishermen longingly: I need a boat. I need a boat to fish.





































No comments:

Post a Comment