We enjoyed a fabulous Independence Day weekend at Fish Lake. So many of our vacations lately have been last minute let's go! that I had forgotten that half the fun of vacation is the anticipation that accompanies a few weeks of planning. I couldn't wait to get up in the mountains to enjoy the cool weather, the smell of wet aspen, the wildlife, and my family! As we drove the couple of hours to south central Utah, I tried to coax excitement from them. I rambled on and on about previous camping trips we enjoyed in that area.
Amanda, do you remember when we saw the petroglyphs at Capitol Reef?
NO.
Do you remember when we went to church in the Fish Lake Lodge -- in our jeans and smelling like campfire?
NO.
Do you remember tying streamers to your bike and riding in the 4th of July parade at Antimony? Remember the pet goats in dresses?
NO. The only thing I remember is when you made me take a bath in a plastic tote!
You were four.
It's my most embarrassing moment ever.
Then why do I even bother packing up these little boys for a family vacation? They will never remember it.
It's OK mom, I remember being together.
As we climbed in elevation my excitement increased!
Look at the flowers . . . look at the trees . . . I've never seen it so green in July!
Bill and Amanda were amused . . . maybe annoyed.
Look at the stream . . . can you see a beaver dam . . . wouldn't it be great to see a beaver?
Bill & Amanda rolled their eyes, not so silently.
Look at the pond . . . moose eat those willow bushes . . . wouldn't it be great to see a moose?
Bill & Amanda began to tease me.
Bill: Or an elephant!
Amanda: Or a giraffe!
J jumped right in with: How 'bout a triceratops!
We laughed and laughed! And then realized how disappointed he will be when he finds out that he can't see a triceratops when we're camping . . . or even at the zoo.
This is going to be great!
Sunday, July 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment