Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Girls Are Wearing Their New Outfits!

I’m certainly not a proponent of raising a gender-neutral child. However, I believe that gaining an understanding of and appreciation for “things of the opposite gender” has merit.

I remember Amanda's boy-cousins really enjoyed playing with her kitchen, dishes, and food. When I suggested to my brothers that they should consider it for Christmas, each clearly stated, "No son of mine will play with a kitchen!"

Well, just a few months ago Grandma Scott found the cutest play kitchen. Would you like it for J and Jeremy? Yes, of course! Are you sure Bill will be OK with that? Really? Does he seem like he wouldn’t be OK with it? Much to my surprise the response was clearly stated, “No son of mine . . . “ I coaxed a bit for a few weeks and finally got the “do whatever you want” answer. Disappointedly, I declined Grandma's offer.

Still, we have lots of old girl stuff packed in the toy totes. Over the holidays J found Amanda’s VHS collection. We all enjoyed watching Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. But J’s favorite was the Barbie Nutcracker! Near the end, he couldn’t contain his excitement and exclaimed Mommy, Mommy -- the nutcracker . . . he turned into a prince . . . a dancing prince . . . just like the girls! and then he twirled like a ballerina and ran back to watch the credits!

I very much enjoyed sharing that with Bill!

Now, J has discovered the My Scene Barbie DVDs – released for promotion when My Scene Barbie was introduced. His eyes were glued to the screen! Afterward, Mommy, Mommy – the girls are wearing their new outfits!

Woah!! That’s enough of the girl stuff!

1 comment:

  1. I can see Bill now. I bet he was thrilled. You need to take the boys to a ballet. I bet J would love it.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete