Sunday, August 23, 2009

Who's the Jerm?














What’s in a name anyway?

For the longest time Bill affectionately called me CB (Carol Burr). His sister Beverly is Auntie B. And he prefers a simple BS when signing checks. So it was no surprise that his only requirement when naming our first child was to use an initial. We asked for suggestions and the wall-sized dry-erase board in the hallway at work quickly filled with offerings:

Forrest Stump
Woody Stump
Harry Stump
Richard Stump
Tim Burr Stump

Enough fun with the Stump! We’re looking for a name with an initial. Still, it continued:

O. Kay Stump
Doug A. Stump
Hal O. Stump
P. Don Stump
Lon G. Stump
C.A. Stump

I agreed to name him J Aaron on the condition that we call him Aaron. I can’t imagine anything worse than being called by an initial only! But, Baby J rolled off the tongue too easily and Amanda insists that JJ is much easier to say than Aaron. Anyway, his preschool teacher knows that it’s OK to call him J, but I insist he learns to write J Aaron.

So, NO INTIALS for Jeremy! But I can’t win. Jer-a-mee -- it takes such effort to make it through three syllables! This picture shows Amanda tossing him in the air saying Who’s the Jerm? That’s right. There IS something worse than being called by an initial only!

No comments:

Post a Comment