Thursday, June 11, 2009

Look At My Face

Sunday evening J must have sneaked M&Ms out of the trail mix. He was bouncing off the walls!
J, settle down.
Still bouncing.
J, please settle down.
Oblivious.
J, settle down. It’s time for bed
No response.
J, settle down. Come here so I can put your pajamas on you.
Nothing.
I grabbed his chin and pulled it toward me, commanding:
LOOK -- AT -- MY -- FACE !
That caught his attention.
With firm, steady voice I instructed:
YOU HAVE GOT TO LISTEN TO WHAT I SAY.

Tuesday evening I was having a delightful conversation with Bill’s sister Bev. J tried to get my attention.
Mommy, mommy, blah blah blah.
Still talking, I reached for Jeremy fussing in the high chair.
Mommy, mommy, blah blah blah.
The phone rang. J tugged on my jacket.
Mommy, mommy, blah blah blah.
J pulled on my arm.
Mommy, mommy, blah blah blah.
Still talking, I returned to the table, struggling with Jeremy as he reached for everything in sight.
J climbed up the chair, sat on the table, grabbed my chin and pulled it toward him, commanding:
LOOK -- AT -- MY -- FACE !
He caught my attention.
With firm, steady voice he instructed:
YOU HAVE GOT TO LISTEN TO WHAT I SAY.

I wish I was a better example!

1 comment:

  1. Well at least you know he listens to you! So funny! I read it to Randy and we both were dying!

    ReplyDelete